Around 50% of all your energy bills go towards heating or cooling your house. So before you reach for the thermostat, why don’t you run check through our list and make sure you have the easy options covered! Let’s try and increase energy efficiency not decrease, you’ll be saving money and the planet!
If It’s Cold Outside
- Put on a jumper…or two.
- It’s no good sitting there in a t-shirt complaining about the temperature.
- Hug a friend
- Getting up close with a favourite person will keep you warm. Even furry friends can make a big difference!
- Turn the dial down a degree or two – You won’t even notice!
- The recommended temperature is 18 deg C.
- Find the draughts
- Windows, doors, vents – Close them up, block em, stop them letting the heat out.
- Keep the curtains or blinds closed
- Reflect all that lovely heat back into the house and not through the windows. You can even try reflective backing which adds additional heating properties.
- Close the bloody door!
- Well, do it!
- Don’t run the heater all day. Use a timer and remember to switch it off when you leave the house!
If It’s Toastie Outside
- Close the curtains
- Same as when it is cold, why let the sun heat the house up! You could reduce energy bills by up to 7%!
- Use a fan not the a.c
- Try placing a bowl of iced water in from of the fan and let the cool air drift into your room. Lovely.
- Make sure you fan is running anti-clockwise
- Yep, anti-clockwise in the summer cools better than clockwise. Go figure.
- Drink beer….ice cold beer
- Cool your body down, not the room. Ice cold drinks will make sure your core temperature is lower and keep you hydrated too.
- Cold water bottle in bed
- Why not freeze or chill some water in a hot water bottle and take it to bed with you. The added benefit of having slightly damp sheets will also help keep you cool (Don’t leave it in for too long or the bed may end up slightly damper than you expected 🙂 ).
- Open windows and let the breeze in
- Not just one window though, the trick is to open windows or doors opposite to each other. This will allow the breeze to flow through, keeping your home much cooler.
Here are a few more
Just as in life, quite often the easy option is not always the best option. Whilst it is easy to switch on the heating or the AC you need to think about the ramifications. All this increased energy efficiency means bigger energy bills and of course more CO² emissions. For those of us living in Countries that still generate electricity by burning coal, this is especially true.
There are so many ways in which we can help reduce our environmental footprint but with so much going on it is hard sometimes to remember. Rather than remember, the best way is to form a habit and the best way to form a habit is by utilising the 3 R’s:
- Reminder (the trigger that initiates the behavior)
- Routine (the behavior itself; the action you take)
- Reward (the benefit you gain from doing the behavior)
Each week, for 52 weeks, we will post a new idea to help you reduce your waste and work towards a cleaner less polluted lifestyle. Hopefully, by the end, some of the idea’s will become habitual and stick with you forever. Consider this to be your gift to the world.
#reducewaste #environmentalfootprint #onebrownplanet